Thursday, April 14, 2011

2011- The End

I started 2011 with the intention of winding down my part of this little Podengo project that I dreamed about for so, so long. I'm just tired and have ridden this bus as far as I care to. Perhaps someone else will want to take it over some day...if that happens, I will be available as an information resource on what we did these past 7 years.
A bit of hope struck me in early February but was dashed quickly with one email- one of the fanciers was in dire straits and needed to place all of her 11 dogs and fast. I got Sancho and Dannii. Izze, who had been rehomed to her, went back to her original owner, who used to own Guiso.
They came as diggy, barky and very much wanting to run off. Unhappy...with otherwise nice temperaments. But needing discipline and structure very badly.
Fortunately, Dannii is now spayed and is going to go live with with Wylie's owner (her brother) and Sancho was placed locally in Ann Arbor. Mica is still available as is Zeke. Ideally, I'd like to see them go to a prospective new fancier, as they represent the pinnacle of quality we achieved here in North America with this breed. In my opinion, they are the 2 best specimens of the WPM born in America (besides their son, Desi- who is now neutered!).
There has been so much rehoming of these dogs over the years and not enough infrastructure to support and grow it like it would have otherwise, if it had been an easier breed like their smaller cousins the Pequenos.
I really do not feel it is responsible stewardship to produce more of any kind of dogs that has had so much trouble finding their fan base. I have put forth the very best effort possible and walked the good road, was never dishonest (a rarity in and of itself in the dog world!) and now am in a position to be honest with myself and re-evaluate the best direction for myself.
WPMs are not part of my future, as an active participant. I thank everyone who supported my interests.

As I metioned above, I do believe that eventually someone else will take up the WPM project (or those that still have them will continue at some point). Many breeds stop and reboot over and over again in America until they 'take.'
6 years is pretty good for a first run...looking through my records of other people across the world that have been involved in this breed, on average they stay in it for just a few years.

The next post has all the stats of every WPMs that have come here or been born here and what happened or what we were told about why they were given up. I have been asked so often 'why do people get rid of them?' and this is the best I can offer.