In April of 2009 a frantic phone call (Zeus and Sissy tied) led to more research. This breed is very primitive and as such, has shown itself to mutate in phenotype in each litter and each individual, like cats. Every puppy is dissimilar in type, nature and structure.
One of my veterinarians marveled at this, he himself a genetics researcher. I agreed to take in Sissy and whelp what ended up being 3 healthy puppies and keep them until her owner could take them back in one week. Which turned into 3 weeks.
That year for me was busy, as I had decided to start my own movie animal business here in Michigan and I worked on nearly every film that shot here. No dog shows, no planned events. I could not even go up north for the weekend with Steve. Life was very different.
That June, at the UKC Premier show, Zeke won Reserve Best in Show at the Portuguese Breeds show under a Portuguese judge. We planned to get BIS the next year!
In August, Marco finally found a new home in Montana, on the edge of the big sky country. He did very well there.
In September I asked Zeke's owner if I could get him back here to breed to Mica. After she'd not lived with him for a while, she told me 'it was so nice and peaceful here without him' and told me she didn't want him back.
I tried to breed Mica x Zeke but Mica didn't want to.
In October, I traveled to Minnesota with my friend who co-owned Zeke with me and he won Best in Show at the Podengo specialty there. The pain in my leg was horrible despite now, months of home rehab/chiropractic and therapeutic massage.