Thursday, April 14, 2011

2010- Best in Show again, Mica's first litter

With Zeke now living here, life was much more complicated. I now had an young intact male ACD and they did not like each other one bit. Dogs had to go out on shifts. I never intended to have that sort of setup at my place. I did not ever have an ounce of intention to be a big kennel with lots of dogs on shifts all day long. I just wanted my little family assortment pack.
In May Mica finally fell in love with Zeke and they cooperated.
A breed I'd fallen in love with when I was in France was now a reality for me to have in my life- the Pyrenean Shepherd. In June I went to Canada to get my very best pal, Mowan the Pyr Shep. I already liked her more than the Podengos. I still do.
In June, we traveled to the bottom of Indiana for the sweltering hot midwest July UKC Premier (the only time they had it there, it was an experiment and it moved back to Kalamazoo the following year). Zeke learned how to lure course (which he loved), he won Best in Show at the Portuguese Breeds show (like we had hoped!), Mowan met everyone. Evita and Mica ran lure coursing and my leg was okay fine until the very end of the days.
At the end of July Mica produced one fine, healthy puppy. He was the single baby in the litter and it was the 10th litter of WPMs born in America, so his name was Decimo de Retrouvaille, or 'Desi.' He now lives in a performance agility home in Canada (and will be neutered soon).

In August I learned that Marco had been killed by the bite of a rattlesnake in the Bureau of Land Management on a day hike with his owner and other dog friends and their dogs. They were over 20 miles from the closest vet. At the end of October his owner came back to Michigan and my friend allowed him to have Guiso, Marco's dad who looks just like him (he also brought back a small Podengo!). He adores both of them. And rattlesnake bite vaccinations are now part of his protocol!

In November I realized that Mica's days of being friends with the Border Terriers were over. The attack was ugly and made me decide to rehome her where she could be spayed and a single dog.
She knows a lot of tricks and is a person's best friend (on leash) but just doesn't much care about other dogs.